Saturday, February 25, 2012

Belated Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Ancestral Name Roulette

I missed Saturday Night Genealogy Fun last weekend but I always enjoy the task so as usual here is mine a little late but at least I participated!  The assignment from this past weekend is as follows:

  • What year was your paternal grandfather born? Divide this number by 100 and round the number off to a whole number.  This is your "roulette number."
  • Use your pedigree charts or your family tree genealogy software program to find the person with that number in your ancestral name list (some people call it an "ahnentafel"). Who is that person
  • Tell us three facts about that person in your ancestral name list with the "roulette number.
  • Write about it in a blog post on your own blog, in a Facebook status or a Google Stream post, or as a comment on this blog post.
Here's mine:
My paternal grandfather is Vincent A. Haskins.  He was born on July 18, 1918.  When I divide 1918 by 100 I get 19.18, when rounded my number is 19.  My roulette number is 19.
The number 19 person in my ahnetafel file is Nellie Bushart.  Nellie Bushart (1861-1940) is my 2nd great grandmother.  She was born in Holland to Daniel Bushart and Nellie Moelaart Malard.  She married Jacob VanLare on March 19, 1884.
Three Facts about Nellie Bushart:

  1. Nellie's name at birth was Pietranella Janneta but she went by Nellie which is the name on her death certificate.
  2. It is believed that Nellie came to the US with her family around 1873 however I am still looking for actual immigration records.  My information is from a whole bunch of passed down family notes some of which are still in dutch which I can't read!  From what I can conclude she became a naturalized citizen in 1885, but am still looking for the proof of this. 
  3. Nellie was unable to read and write English, but was able to speak it.

Here is a picture of Nellie with her family.
This is Nellie Bushart VanLare with her two daughters; Kate and Sarah


This is  Nellie Bushart VanLare with her daughter Kate, son in-law Fred,
 and grandchildren Vincent and Esther.

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to know your ancestral roots, not all people have the chance of getting to know it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete