Sunday, February 16, 2014
52 Ancestors #6: Jakob Carlier
A Family Sketch
Jakob Carlier is one of my 5th great grandfathers in my mother's paternal line. He was born in 1755 in Groede, Zeeland, Netherlands as the first child of Jakob Carlier and Barbarina Notebaard. I know that he had at least one sibling; Christiaan. Jakob died on 08 Dec 1829 in Zuidzande, Oostburg, Zeeland, Netherlands Jakob married Sara Scheerens, the daughter of Jakob Scheerens and Maria Ramat. I have not yet been able to locate their record and date of marriage as they were married before 1796, which means their record would be documented in church records instead of in the civil records. I am guessing that there is a strong likelihood that they would have attended a Dutch Reformed Church so this is where I am spending my time researching. Sara was born around 1759 in Nieuwvliet, Zeeland, Netherlands. She died in 1815 at the age of 56. Her death record states that she was working as a laborer. Records indicate that Jakob was also a laborer.
Jakob appears to have lived in the Zeeland area of the Netherlands his whole life. Zeeland is a province in the lower western part of the Netherlands. It is a sea coast area made of many small islands, it also borders Belgium. During Jakob’s lifetime the Netherlands went through many historical changes. When he was born the country was the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands. From 1795 to 1813 it was under French control. In 1805 the Kingdom of Holland was ruled by Napoleon's brother. By 1815, at the time of his wife’s death the French had left the country and Prince Willem VI of Orange-Nassau became king and a new constitution had been adopted.
Jakob Carlier and Sara Scheerens are known to have had the following children – the write up includes what I know about each of them at this time:
1. Barbarina Carlier was born in 1789. She died on 03 Jul 1816 in Zuidzande, Oostburg, Zeeland, Netherlands.
2. Sara Carlier was born in 1795 in Cadzand. She died on 31 Jul 1870 in Oostburg Zeeland Netherlands. She married Adriaan Contant and had 6 children (4 daughters and 2 sons). Her daughter Elisabeth born in 1832 married Pieter Vergouwe on 12 Feb 1849. Pieter and Elisabeth had 4 children, one being Pieter Vergouwe. He married Catharina van Bortel on 22 May 1878. They gave birth to at least 2 daughters; one being Sarah Vergouwe who married my great grandfather Peter Derks. They emigrated to the United States in 1904.
3. Abraham Jacob Carlier was born about 1796 in Holland. He died in Williamson, New York – his name had been changed to Collier.
4. Elizabeth Carlier was born in 1798 in Cadzand, Oostburg, Zeeland, Netherlands. She died on 05 Jul 1827 in Zuidzande, Oostburg, Zeeland, Netherlands.
5. Adrianna Carlier was born on 24 Nov 1799 in Zuidzande, Oostburg, Zeeland, Netherlands.
6. Isaac Carlier was born on 10 Nov 1801 in Zuidzande, Oostburg, Zeeland, Netherlands. He died on 14 Feb 1802 in Zuidzande, Oostburg, Zeeland, Netherlands.