Tuesday, January 14, 2014

52 Ancestors #2: August Leisten

I have decided that I am going to use my Ancestry Blogging Jar to help me in the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge.  From my jar for week 2, I have selected August Leisten for my ancestor and the prompt chosen is "pick a vital and discuss what you know."  So here it goes....

August Leisten is my third great grandfather on my Dad's maternal line. 

He was born on July 14, 1838 in Mecklenburg-Schwerin and he died on November 12, 1922 in Penfield, NY.  I am going to write about what I know about his death; mostly because that is what I have the most information on.

Based on August's obituary I know that he died on a Sunday morning at the house of his daughter, Wilhelmina Leisten Oestriech.  She was living in Roseland which is part of Penfield. He would have been 84 years old.


His notice of death from the Fairport Hearld on November 15, 1922 reads...

August Leisten died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Henry Oestriech, Sunday morning.  He was born in Germany and came to this country at the age of 17.  Most of the time he has lived in this place.  He was the last of eight brothers and sisters.  He leaves to mourn his loss three sons, Charles of Brighton, Louie, of this place, and Fred of Rochester; and three daughters, Mrs. Henry Oestriech, of this place, Mrs. George Kuhls, of Henrietta, and Mrs. John Peglow, of Rochester; thirty-five grandchildren and thirteen great grandchildren.


I have found his burial record in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America; Death and Burial Records 1850-1940.- Church in Webster, NY.  From this record I know that he was buried on November 14, 1922 in Smith Cemetery.  His burial service was done by Pastor Hoffman and the text read at the burial was 1 Peter 1:24-25.  

The bible verses read -
 
 As the Scriptures say, "People are like grass; their beauty is like a flower in the field.  The grass withers and the flower fades.  But the word of the Lord remains forever."
 
 
August was buried with his wife Louise who died in 1917. They had been married for 49 years.  This is a picture of their tombstone.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment